Wednesday, September 19, 2012

A little fall decor

Sew, sew, sew…
A while back I posted a project I really wanted to do from pinterest.  The place mat pillows? Remember those? Yeah, so do I.  As we {mostly} all know, things are never as simple as they seem. 
My mom bought me the place mats and after looking at them, there was no way I could just use a seam ripper to get into them, so I started thinking about ways to turn them into pillows. 
We went to Hobby Lobby and picked up some fabric that we both agreed on and a few other things like pins and scissors.  While I watched the disappointment that was the Arkansas-Alabama game I pinned all of the place mats to the fabric that I bought.
 
 
 
 
Sunday I went to my mother’s to stitch the place mat pillows.  Or so I thought.
I attempted to sew this thing on my own and we will just say EPIC FAIL.  This sewing shit is for the birds.  It’s a really good thing that I didn’t live 100 years ago when you had to sew all the clothing for your family, as we would be wearing a big piece of fabric with a hole cut out for the head.  I know that I will get better with practice, but I think I need to start off with squares.
 

We completed one of the pillows and flipped it.  It turned out pretty good, but not exactly what we had in mind.   
 
{This was before I finished sewing the edge}
 
After talking it over, we decided to go another direction so I repinned everything and will finish the "other" version of the pillows later this week.
{I started flipping the edges and pinning them so that it will be easier to put the brown fabric behind it to make the pillow}
 
With the second one that we attempted, we decided to make it into something a little different:
 
It's now hanging above the sink.  With all this fall decor creating spirit, I caved in and started putting out a few decorations :)
 
 
More to come, I really can't wait for it to be a little bit more into fall!  I'm making chili right now and have the windows open! 
 
On to a little bit different news!  I got a new job! I start on the 2nd and can't wait especially since it's working in pediatrics!  So, anybody want to throw some loot at me?  I really want this:
 
Yeah, it's a stethoscope with an animal head on the bell.  How frickin' cute is that?
 
Happy Wednesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment