Saturday, August 4, 2012

Seeing Red/Guest Bathroom Redo


So, I really, really, REALLY like the color RED.  {It just happens to also be the color of the RAZORBACKS!} As we all know, I painted my front door red last week.  Well, I wanted a red kitchen, like badly.  I still do, but the hubs said “nooooo, I’m not painting it” to which my response was, “I didn’t ask you to paint it, I don’t need your help!” After a nice long argument about how much red and where it should be added, we agreed to paint the front bathroom red and to do an accent wall in the kitchen.  I have all kinds of red accent pieces, and I love them; especially my red tea pot.  I haven’t actually used it yet, but I will, come winter.  My wonderful Nanny gave it to me before she moved back to the north {depressed about that!}.

As you may have seen on my post “Tutu wreath, well, almost” I was given a gift card by a neighbor for the mess in my yard as they have a stone wall built.

Yeah, really thankful my neighbors are so amazing! They are having the company re-sod our yard that gets messed up in the building process.

With that gift card, we bought paint, and some more vinyl flooring. This time to tackle the front bathroom! We chose Valspar Cherry Devine for the color {which turned out to be a little more pink than red-so, a little disappointing} and of course got a two in one paint/primer to save some work…wrong! If you have never painted anything red, you may be unaware {as we were} that the molecules for red are larger than that of blue or yellow. They do not coat evenly, but rather clump together. That is why when you paint a wall red, if you do not do it quickly, and finish the entire wall a.s.a.p., it looks streaky and uneven.

So, here are a couple of before photos:




{After we repainted it the second time!}


I wish someone had told me that before this project.  Moving on, after painting and it looking like vomit, we got another quart of paint and had another go.  This time it worked like a charm.  We took our time doing one wall at a time.  The patience paid off with nice, evenly coated, walls.  We already had a black and clear shower curtain, scentsy, and soap dispenser so we figured it was a good theme to keep.  After letting the paint dry overnight,  we I laid the flooring the next morning.  Once I was done J did get in there and fill any gaps with wood filler and then he put the sealer on, so there’s a little credit for that.





Once all was said and done with the big stuff, it was time to put the room back together.  I wanted to frame the mirror but the plan I had didn’t pan out so this week sometime me and my mom are going to get the stuff and frame it.  I decided at the last  minute that I wanted to take a wine bottle and spray paint it black and put a few flowers in it to sit in the corner, I have to get the flowers tomorrow since it’s way too late to venture into town.  J even got some black receptacles and has ordered me some black switches for the lights.




So, here’s the finished product:





 Here's what the brat was up to:
Excuse the laundry, but we do live here :)

I know I have been slacking on posting final photos of my projects, but I promise I will get a few updated photos up this week.  So far, I’m loving the way the house is coming along.  I’m also loving the fact that it hasn’t cost an arm and a leg to do the redecoration.  Now, if I can just convince the hubs that knocking the wall in the master down for French doors is a good idea, and that tearing up the living room and hall carpet is a good idea {I only want carpet in the bedrooms!} then I will be one step closer to what I want in big projects.  I am hoping to get to the kitchen walls within the next month and I have big plans for painting an accent wall in the living room {which I wanted to be a stripe wall but J said “no”} and painting the hall.  I also cannot wait to get around to painting our bedroom and putting up new curtains along with {hopefully} rearranging and maybe finding a steal on a new rug.  One project at a time, right?!?!?

In case you’re wondering {or even if you’re not!}  Here’s my “What I plan to get around to doing” project list that has been okayed by the hubs:
Accent wall in kitchen
Flooring in kitchen
Crown molding throughout house
Accent wall in living room
Entire hallway walls
Change light fixtures in entire house!
Paint spare bedroom {I’m thinking gray}
Create amazing backyard {Why do the yard crashers never come to Lowe’s when I’m there?}
Paint our bedroom!



Hopefully these plans can happen over the next few months.  Hey, it gives me something to write about and you something to read about right?  Anybody want to help?  Yeah, didn’t think so!

So, to end this SUPER long post, I hope everyone has a safe and happy weekend!

*UPDATE!* I ran to town and got the flowers for the wine bottle vase.  I found these for $1 each at Michael's!



No comments:

Post a Comment